At the start of the year, I set five major goals with an additional BONUS goal thrown in for good measure. Most of the goals have a number of mini-goals/targets embedded in them which makes them a lot more challenging than I’d thought when I was setting them with all the vigour and energy that a new year invokes! But let me not be a Debbie Downer yet. I have completed one huge goal and I’m on track with a few mini-goals. My major problem areas seem to be those goals that are geared towards actual lifestyle changes. But let’s take a deeper look, shall we!?
2022 Mid-Year Review
1: Run A Trail Ultra-Marathon: Yes, yes, yes! On the 19th March, I became an ultra-trail marathoner after completing the Addo Elephant Trail Run in the Eastern Cape of South Africa in 9+ hours. It was the toughest challenge I’ve ever done, one that tested my physical and mental strength, whilst allowing me to witness the grit, determination and resilience of so many other runners. As the terrain, landscape and flora transitioned beautifully over the 44km run, I also felt extremely privileged to be immersed in such splendour. Status: Completed.
2: Complete 10 Items On My 40X40 List: I’ve done the Ultra-Trail Marathon and I’ve gotten four mums off the couch! Although I didn’t target specific people as I’d originally intended to, I’ve had several messages from women who’ve thanked me for inspiring them to start running/walking. So I’m going to officially cross this off. Races are back so I may manage the #20in20RaceGoal and I might finally bring my overall Half Marathon tally to 15 (I’m at 7) and maybe, just maybe, I’ll run the Jacaranda Half in Pretoria. Status: 2/10.
3: Do More Strength And Cross-Training:
- Strength-train twice a week for at least 15 minutes at a time. Status: Waiting for Lift Off.
- Kgale Hill 1x a week. I did this consistently until Addo in March. Status: Work in Progress.
- Pilates 2x a week. Status: Waiting for Lift Off.
This goal is about adding an extra layer to my fitness regime which is very running-focused. But when it comes to strength and cross-training, I really lack discipline. I recommit to this goal.
4: Eat, Sleep and Drink Better:
- Drink 1.5 – 2L of water a day
- Sleep between 9 – 10 pm
- Improve my eating habits (less chocolate, healthier snacks, better portion sizes)
- Schedule monthly health check ups, e.g. breast exam one month, dentist the next, etc.
I do try with all of these but I lack the consistency needed to form these healthy habits. So let me say, Status: Work in Progress.
5: Run 2022km in 2022: I was on track until I wasn’t. My app tells me I’m 370km behind so there’s certainly a lot of ground to make up. Although it looks bad, I’m quite optimistic especially as I’ve become more consistent in recent weeks and I have a lot of Halves on the schedule. If I stick to my current mileage, I’ll get there. Status: 665/2022.
- Run Every Street Project: Block 3, Broadhurst Industrial and Block 6. Status: 1/3 (Broadhurst Industrial Completed).
- Run all races in Gaborone: Yes, yes, yes! I’ve run most races in town – six in total with another four planned for July alone. Status: I’m so happy races are back!
- Run in 15 new villages/ towns. I’m on track. So far I’ve done three in Ghana – Accra, Senchi, Atimpoku, three in South Africa – Bloemfontein, Addo, Port Elizabeth, and two in Botswana – Khudumelapye and Molepolole. Status: 8/15.
BONUS GOAL: Write 100 Blog Posts. This blog brings me to 42 so I’m about 8 posts off where I wanted to be at this time but unless something goes horribly wrong I’m on track. Status: 42/100.
I’m great at setting goals but not at monitoring my progress. So this was such a good exercise. Before looking at my goals, I knew I wasn’t where I needed to be and I thought doing a review like this would dampen my spirits. But on the contrary, it has had the opposite effect – I feel quite optimistic. I now know exactly what I’ve achieved and what’s left – better yet, I know what’s needed to get it done. There’s certainly a lot of work left but it’s not impossible.
Have you reviewed your 2022 goals yet? How’s it going? Are you hopeful for the rest of the year?