I’m not much of a baker but this year, I’m trying five different recipes – all delicious, easy to make, festive and gluten free! I started with some delicious Coconut & Amarula Snowballs (click here for the results) and then moved onto this gorgeous gluten-free apple crumble recipe. I followed the recipe from Gluten-Free on a Shoestring, word for word, and the outcome was PERFECTION! We made such a huge batch and then polished it off so quickly. But I’ve vowed to make it again for Christmas Day. I hope I can pull this off again because it was THAT good!
For the Crisp/ Crumble Topping
- 1 ½ cups (210 g) all purpose gluten free flour blend
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum omit if your blend already contains it
- ½ cup (50 g) certified gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup (67 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (109 g) packed light brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons (168 g) unsalted butter melted and cooled
For the Apple Filling
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup (100 g) packed light brown sugar
- About 6 large apples (Granny Smith apples or other tart and firm apple) peeled, cored and chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish and set it aside.
Prepare the Crisp/Crumble Topping
- In a medium-sized bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, oats, granulated sugar, cinnamon, optional nutmeg and salt, and mix to combine. Add the brown sugar, and mix again, working out any lumps.
- Add the melted butter and mix to combine well. The mixture will be thick. Chill only briefly if at all loose or warm. Set the topping aside.
Prepare the Apple Filling
- In a large bowl, place flour, cinnamon, salt, and brown sugar, and toss to combine well, breaking up any lumps in the brown sugar. Add the apples, and toss to coat the apples completely.
- Transfer the filling to the prepared baking dish, add the 1/4 cup lukewarm water and vanilla extract, and stir to combine again. Spread the apple chunks into an even layer.
- Place the baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet, cover the dish with aluminum foil, and place it in the oven to begin to soften the apples. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove and uncover the dish to stir the apples. Cover again, return to the oven, and continue to bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and place on a heatproof surface. Remove the foil, stir the apples and spread them again into an even layer.
- Scatter the crisp topping evenly on top, breaking up any larger clumps of topping, and press gently on top to help the topping adhere to the apples.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the topping is golden brown (about 25 minutes). Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving warm, topped with the optional vanilla ice cream or cream.
As I side earlier – this was absolute perfection, and definitely my favourite recipe so far! A special thank you to Nicole from Gluten-Free on a Shoestring for this awesome recipe.
Are you baking this Christmas Season? What are your favourite Christmas treats? Let me know if you try out this recipe!
3 thoughts on “Bake with Me for Christmas | Gluten Free Apple Crumble”